At this time of year try roasting just-harvested chestnuts on the barbecue, then go for walks in the warm air to see lovely autumn colours in the falling leaves.
In Beechworth, only 10 minutes away, enjoy a beautifully preserved historic town and see the courthouse where Ned Kelly had his initial hearing. The famous wineries of King Valley, Buckland Valley and Rutherglen are all within a 40-minute drive. You can have lunch at Milawa cheese factory and visit art galleries.
Drive along the Stanley to Myrtleford road through a valley lined with chestnut, apple and walnut orchards.
Visit Lake Kerford for a picnic, or try the Myrtleford produce market on Saturday mornings.
Walk across the road to the Stanley Pub for lunch or dinner, with no worries about having to drive back to your accommodation. For something romantic, go for a moonlight walk.
Stanley is protected from the wind in all weathers, making it a pleasant place to relax.
Autumn highlights include...
• Taste of Rutherglen Festival - March
• Myrtleford Community Produce market - every Saturday from 8am-noon
• Wodonga Farmers Market - 1st Saturday of every month from 9am-1pm.
• Golden Horseshoe Festival - May
• Beechworth Harvest Celebration Festival - 3rd Week in May
• Beechworth Country Craft Market - 3rd Weekend in May
• Yackandandah Folk Festival - March
• Yackandandah Easter Art, Craft and Home Industries Show - Easter
• Stress less weekend - April
• Milawa Gourmet Region 100km Dinner
• Queen's Birthday at Brown Brothers . A weekend of feasting and fun at the home of Brown Brothers T: (03) 5720 5547 Website
• Rutherglen Winery Walkabout. Queens Birthday Long Weekend Victoria's original wine festival. Held each year over the Queen's Birthday long weekend. T: 1300 787 929 Website
• Weekend Fit for a King. Queen's Birthday Long Weekend King Valley winemaking families' host the annual celebration. T: 1800 801 065 Website
• Trails, Tastings & Tales. Queen's Birthday Long Weekend Discover wine, warming food, art exhibitions and live entertainment. T: 1800 801 065 Website
Nestled 10km south of Beechworth, where gold was discovered in 1852, and within comfortable driving distance to the historic towns of Chiltern, Yackandandah Nine Mile Creek, Wooragee and Myrtleford, lies picturesque Stanley - a long-time settled village renown for its high quality fruit, nuts and berries.
All you need for an interesting experience can be found in the village- the award winning Stanley Pub and restaurant, the general store, post office, local produce stalls, bike trails, walking tracks, Stanley Bears and community activities to which visitors are welcome.
Stanley is conveniently located near Victoria's ski fields and Alpine areas. Stanley is a great stay over point for day trips into the surrounding townships of Beechworth, Bright, Rutherglen and Milawa, all offering their own special experiences for those visiting the region.
[MORE] Information about what to do in the area <
View Larger Map
Stanley can be accessed via the Hume Freeway and is close to the rural townships of Beechworth, Wangaratta and Albury Wodonga, which are only 35 minutes drive. There is a regular Melbourne to Sydney train and bus services operating through these towns, with connecting buses into Beechworth. Those who wish to fly can access domestic flights via Albury airport, where hire cars are available for collection.